Sunday, June 19, 2011

Zen garden, art magnet

Once I saw it somewhere.
Then there was this white sand at Dollar Tree.
Friday, digging around in the teacher resource room, I spied a lone desk drawer. Hmmmmm
That evening Scout ewwwwed and awwwwed and held her hands under the cool sandfall as I poured.


 I ran out of memory on the camera but you get the idea and yes, she did get to put her feet in it.


For the most part, yesterday was spent with farm animals and a dragon playing in the zen garden. I had pictured a little rake, a few polished stones, you know.....zen. But being 6 she found her own zen.

The truth is, it is hard to keep your hands out of and it draws others to you while you play. Obiwannabe was reminded of something he had seen about a year ago on Youtube.



There are dozens of these, with all different kinds of themes. Scout had to see as many as possible. I think for her birthday I will burn a bunch of them so she can watch them on the t.v.  The budding artist in her was truly inspired. In fact, we all watched them in absolute fascination. Before time to leave for our meeting she had made and wiped away many of her own designs, the cow and dragon tossed aside.  I was impressed with her palm tree and  when I made a silhouette of a woman's face she impatiently brushed my hand aside and said, "Here Mom." adding the dot for the eye, just under the eyebrow, as the artists she had seen do.  She wasn't being rude, just so focused that it was all she could see.


I woke up at 3 this morning, got up at 4:30. Couldn't really settle on a thought or a plan.
Then I saw it.
There was no line to wait in. All the time in the world. So I played.



A question. When school starts up again this will be in my class room. I am thinking about painting the inside of the drawer black. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I love that something so simple as sand can take our children (and sometimes us) away in another place, they can use their imagination and play.

    Enjoy,

    elena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tree!!! And you should paint the bottom of the drawer, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sand art is beautiful! Yes, you must paint the inside of the drawer black.

    I love how inspired Scout is by the sand. It's like there are endless possibilities. And there truly are!

    ReplyDelete