Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ripple Effect

Every morning after I wake up I have a moment. Lying in bed I realize I am awake. Thoughts that I went to sleep with jumble themselves up into a mass of scenarios in my imagination.  Sometimes the dawn of remembering what I have to do that day interrupts a half-sleepy problem solving synapse session gone awry. Somewhere in the mix I notice that my brain has a mind of its own and I feel around for the off button.  I quiet my thoughts, I breath, I turn to the Lord. That last for about 5 seconds.

Thoughts can be very subtle interrupters. Things that grab my gray matter and make me pay attention when I know that I will be much more peaceful if I take a little time off to listen to Him instead of replaying the jumble.

And then of course there are the ah-ha moments. If I were to write them down I could probably (very nearly anyway) claim one ah-ha moment per morning. It might be the solution to a problem that surfaces through the mind muck,  a clean, clear and precise realization that smiles brightly at me as if I were silly to have wondered whether or not it would appear. It could be the "getting" of something, the move from confusion to lucid understanding. And not always about something I pondered on. Sometimes that ah-ha is an obvious gift dropped into the muddle causing a ripple effect within, the end result of which is a smile without. See? It's a ripple. Thank you, Lord.

Ripple. It's one of those words you can say over and over and it starts sounding funny.

But none of those things are the moment I am referring to. The moment that has me intrigued is the one in which my feet touch the floor and I am up and walking. Every morning when I walk away from my bed I have one thing on my mind. "What made me get up?"  It doesn't matter if I lay there for an hour deep in thought or five minutes.  Sometimes it directly follows an ah-ha, sometimes not. I usually agree with myself that it is time to be up and get moving. Even if I am still tired, once I stand the energy finds me.  But what actually moved me? I guess I will just have to keep getting up in the morning until I uncover the answer.


What gets you out of bed in the morning?

2 comments:

  1. thanks for stopping by my blog! I am your newest follower! Stop by anytime you want...I would love to get to know you more! :)

    Your writing is quite good by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melody! I think you are my first follower that I didn't already know. How exciting! Well, for me anyway. :) I think this blogging thing is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete